05 novembro 2009

Deixa-me rir...

Caros audiophiles, this week I present an American icon, a legend in his lifetime, the Man In Black. Perhaps it is difficult for non-Americans to fully appreciate the impact Johnny Cash had in his own country. Certainly he did not appeal to everyone, he was full of contradictions, devoutly religious and a family man, but a hell-raiser, a drinker, a drug abuser. He was an anti-authority rebel, but he was a friend of every US President.

But he had an ability, through his songs, to be a spokesperson for more than one generation, for farmers, for immigrants, for the human rights of prisoners, for the ordinary god-fearing working class American. And he embraced many musical styles: country, folk, rock & roll, rockabilly, blues, gospel. The Man In Black had soul, empathy, a brutal honesty, a humanity that recognised and could be recognised by anyone.

The 2 songs I have chosen are from his final year, suffering ill-health and the recent death of his wife when he was reflecting on his long hard life.

The first song, Hurt, is not a comfortable song. It is full of regret and pain, but it is such an honest and powerful meditation on his life and imminent death. Some people have said that this song and video is his perfect epitaph.


I hurt myself today to see if I still feel
I focus on the pain the only thing that's real
the needle tears a hole the old familiar sting
try to kill it all away but I remember everything

what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know goes away in the end
and you could have it all, my empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns upon my liar's chair
full of broken thoughts I cannot repair
beneath the stains of time the feelings disappear
you are someone else
I am still right here

what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know goes away in the end
and you could have it all, my empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

if I could start again a million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way



The second song, I Hung My Head, is also a sad story, about a young man who makes a stupid unintentional mistake and has to pay the ultimate penalty. And yet it is full of the empathy and humanity that Johnny Cash embodied, and carries his personal conviction of remorse and redemption. I think this is a perfect poetic lyric, and a greater epitaph for what JC stood for.




I hope you enjoy.

A próxima...

po

5 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Dear P, it was through you that I became acquainted with Johnny Cash. Remember when we went to the Fulham Rd cinema and watched Walk the Line? Great movie, great acting. Loved all your explanations and that last song of his you played when we arrived at GG. What wealth of musical knowledge GG was!!!! Great choice. bjs. pcp

Philip disse...

Dear pcp, I had forgotten actually. I was going to suggest that anyone interested in Johnny Cash should see this film. And check out some of his other great songs - Folsom Prison Blues (live version), A Boy Named Sue, Don't Take Your Guns to Town, I Still Miss Someone... he is not always the writer but he interprets them to make them his own. thanks, po

Anónimo disse...

A bit on the dark side, po! But very interesting. Specially the first one. It is quite powerful, it leaves a mark on you. Have never heard of him, though, he must have been very national (inside America, I mean. His style reminds me of the extense American plains, the wind, cowboys, rural America ... very unusual in this blog. Thanks. ABC

marialemos disse...

Hi PO,
I felt immersed in American culture, just by clicking 'play' with your words of warning still in my mind. Just great. I prefer the 2nd video - its simplicity makes JC'words more powerful and the combination with the guitar exquisite.

Philip disse...

Dear ABC and Maria, thank you for your kind comments. JC was indeed quintessentially an American but he found success also outside the US... but perhaps not in Portugal? He grew up in a farming community and so rural America was in his blood, he stayed close to his roots, he understood the hard life of ordinary people and poverty.
These songs are a little dark, yes, but JC had a humorous and romantic side too - check out A Boy Named Sue and Thing Called Love for example.
I'm pleased to have introduced you to a "new" artist, and to expand the range of culture/styles presented in this blog, which of course remains proudly Portuguese.
Next time I'll try to present something more cheerful! po

Acerca de mim

Arquivo do blogue