07 outubro 2010

Deixa-me rir...

"Caros audiophiles, this week another early childhood hero of mine. Herb Alpert & his Tijuana Brass Band.
Even at the age of 7 or 8, I was captivated by him, perhaps wanted to be him. As portrayed in his iconic album cover photos: the tanned handsome man with the beautiful woman on his arm, wearing a short brown bolero jacket on South Of The Border, or the black tie dinner suit on What Now My Love. like a stylishly cool James Bond of music; or flying a vintage aeroplane on Going Places, travelling to exciting destinations; and entranced by the sexy girl covered in cream on Whipped Cream & Other Delights. He was charismatic and exotic.
And his music was joyful and uplifting, exciting and fun. His trumpet, combining with guitars and percussive mariachi rhythms, he managed to create with his band a distinctive sound, in the same way that for example Glenn Miller had his own sound, Very few artists have been able to achieve this.
I used to spend hours playing along to his tunes with my toy trumpet standing on the table in our playroom. God knows what sound I really made but it seemed like I could play every note!
It seems incredible in the rock and pop era of The Beatles and The Stones and Bob Dylan that there could be appeal for such an apparently conservative "un-groovy" instrumental music but Herb Alpert's Tijuana sound was still modern and permeated everywhere in the middle 60s, perhaps as an antidote to rock and pop. But then again, the best-selling album of that era was The Sound Of Music! There was room for all music.
I suppose some might consider him as music for elevators or hermetically sealed shopping malls where any music has the soul sucked out of it. But no, Herb Alpert is energetic and celebratory, rather like The Gipsy Kings of the 90s.
With his worldwide mega success Herb Alpert was also a hugely successful business entrepreneur, becoming the A of A&M Records and recognising and encouraging the talents of The Carpenters and The Police among many others.
I could find very few good videos of Herb Alpert and his Band playing 'live', but I offer a selection of my favourite tunes, including his one and only solo hit as a singer which ironically is possibly his best-known work, together with Spanish Flea.
As a child, listening especially to his tune El Presidente, I always imagined him peforming at a bullring, his music introducing the matadors and toreadors as they march into the arena. So imagine my surprise when I found such a video!

el presidente:



herb alpert - mexican shuffle:



i've grown accustomed to her face:



south of the border:



this guy's in love with you:



A proxima! Ole
PO

13 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine that you would like HA so much! It is so South American, so passionate and abstract at the same time, so different from anything else (like you say) that you listened to when you (we)were young. But that's great. It only shows your extremely ecletic choices and musical tastes! In general, I totally agree with you. This time, not really. I would have to get used to the sound. But I like I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face. Quite nice to share a dance with someone special. From London to London. Bjs. pcp

marialemos disse...

P,
Loved your text - beautifully written, as usual. And the sharing of your early memories related to music - so fun, I can see you standing on that table:)
The music you showed us is very 'danceable', isn't it? I can see beautiful dresses going slowly around a ball room in a magic atmosphere established mainly by the music.
Could it be that the financial success of HA is related to this? I mean the fact that his music is the needed ingredient for successful parties of high society back then and that he took advantage of this?
Just thinking...

Philip disse...

Maria, I don't think the deep pockets of 'high society' created his success but certainly his music would have graced summer parties everywhere. He must have had a wider popular/populist appeal, probably more for an older generation. In America he had 5 #1 hit albums from 1965-68 which each stayed in the pop charts for 2-3 years. For me, the albums were in our house and I absorbed all the music I could. Thx, PO

Anónimo disse...

order valium online buy valium 10mg uk - buy valium online in uk

Anónimo disse...

zolpidem high zolpidem erowid vault - recreational use of zolpidem

Anónimo disse...

zolpidem drug buy ambien online pharmacy - generic medication ambien cr

Anónimo disse...

buy valium online valium high effects - valium side effects risks

Anónimo disse...

buy ativan online treatment of ativan overdose - ativan overdose treatment

Anónimo disse...

buy ativan ativan erowid - buy ativan no rx

Anónimo disse...

xanax anxiety do xanax show up drug test - does xanax show up on employment drug test

Anónimo disse...

order soma carisoprodol side effects abuse - legal to buy soma online

Anónimo disse...

buy soma online somanabolic muscle maximizer vs p90x - carisoprodol hydrocodone

Anónimo disse...

buy soma online soma prescription drug - carisoprodol 5 panel drug test

Acerca de mim

Arquivo do blogue