21 outubro 2010

Deixa-me rir...

"Caros audiophiles, this week I present one of my favourite British female singers, Annie Lennox. She and her first group The Tourists were the first pop/rock concert I ever experienced, soon after I arrived at Edinburgh University in 1979. I remember her bright orange punky hair and her bouncy energy on stage. So exciting. And I remember her telling us that her mother was in the crowd watching her daughter for the very first time. A special night for her and her mother and me. The Tourists did not last long in pop fashion but they had a few good songs including this infectious upbeat version of a Dusty Springfield classic:



Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart decided to leave behind the bright pop sensibilities of The Tourists in order to explore their own experimental synthesized music as Eurhythmics.
Their first album was quite minimalist and received only a cult following. I loved it and felt ambivalent. They deserved greater success but I didn't really want them to achieve mass appeal, preferring selfishly that they should remain a private pleasurable secret. But of course this couldn't last long. Their next album included the brilliantly obsessive Love Is A Stranger and the song which launched their global success:



Eurhythmics are probably best remebered for uptempo pop dance songs but they also composed some wonderful lush ballads such as Miracle Of Love and I Saved The World Today. And Annie Lennox continued this path in her solo career, which serves to highlight even better her expressive voice:



We don't hear so much these days from her, appearing only occasionally for charity concerts, but last year she made a great uptempo version of Ash's Shining Light. It seems the lady has complerted a circle and is starting again from where she began:



A proxima.
PO

2 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

I had no idea you liked Annie Lennox so much! She is also one of my favourite female singers. I love her voice and am a huge fan of Why. Not only because its lyrics are beautiful in a very painful, real, human way, but because they remind me of personal moments that were very dear to me. Thanks, P, for a wonderful choice. Bjs. pcp

Ana LA disse...

Ui, que alívio. Estava a ver que era só eu a fã da Lennox.
Boas sugestões, obrigada.

Acerca de mim

Arquivo do blogue