18 novembro 2010

Deixa-me rir...

"Caros audiophiles, last night I was knocked out by a fantastic concert at the Royal Albert Hall by Paolo Conte. It was one of those events where you wish all your friends were also present.
Before, I was not familiar with his oeuvre, I knew only his name. But now I need to tell the world. I had understood that he was the Italian Leonard Cohen - poet, singer-songwriter, gravel voice - and this seems somewhat true, although I do not speak or understand Italian. But Paolo Conte inhabits a different more expansive musical world, not acoustic folk, but jazz swing and late night smokey bars and latin tango and french chanson and romantic classicism.
I am told that his CDs are wonderful but that his real reputation is live performance. On the evidence of last night this must be true. He appears on stage, almost apologetically, like an eccentric uncle. reminding me of Victor Borge. He acknowledges his audience but does not speak except to highlight the brilliance of his musicians. In fact he does not speak to the audience throughout the concert, almost as if he is playing for his own pleasure. Yet this is part of his charm, and we listen more attentively. And even though I understand few of his words, I follow his facial expressions and bodily movements and can see the humour in his eyes. He is idiosyncratic and playful with panache.
And of course his character is reflected in the music. I could not have enjoyed the evening so much if he was not accompanied by such a talented band of musicians, most of whom are multi-instrumentalists - one moment playing a clarinet, the next moment an accordian, one moment a saxophone the next a marimba, first a guitar then a piano. And I cannot forget his amazing drummer/percussionist. Or his violinist who sometimes played like a sad romantic street-corner musician and then suddenly demented like Stephane Grappelli at the Hot Club of Paris.
The musical arrangements incorporate jazz, swing, latin, and sometimes the rhythms of a carnival or a gipsy or circus band, sometimes all in one song. Surprising and uplifting. Another time he is playing what sounds like a ballad of love and then deflates the scene with a few notes on a kazoo (like the sound we made as children using a comb and paper).
Paolo Conte seems to take his music seriously, but not too seriously. I think he must enjoy life immensely.
If you are not already familiar with Paolo Conte, I suggest that you discover more on the internet. I can tell you also that he will be performing next May 2011 at CCB in Lisbon and I urge you to get tickets NOW. You will leave with a smile on your face and in your heart. I hope to be there too,
But for now, I have selected a few videos to give a flavour of his different styles and his wonderful musicians. Sadly I cannot find any with his (new) violinist, so you must go to his concert!
And if any of you reading this article is familiar with Paolo Conte's poetic lyrics, I would be happy to read your comments (in Portuguese or in English).

Sotto le stelle del Jazz:



Sparring Partner:



Via con Me (It's Wonderful):



Elegia:



Avevo una passione per la musica I had a passion for music
Di ruggine
Rust
Nerastra tinta a caldo di caligine Blackish color hot haze
Metropoli Metropolis
Le tentazioni andavano e venivano The temptations came and went
Cosa farò di me? What will I do with me?

Guidavo nella notte ferma immobile I was driving in the still fim night
Friabile Fragile
Venivo da una valle dove annuvola I came from a valley of cloud
Nell'umido Humid
Sentivo sulle spalle un bel solletico I felt quite a tickle on my shoulder
Tu cosa vuoi da me? What do you want from me?

Lasciando alla mia infanzia Leaving my childhood
Ogni ingenuità sensibile Each ingenuity sensitive
L'amore è uno stregone un fuoco Love is a fire wizard
Isterico magnifico Hysterical magnificent
Carezza di una mano che semplifica Caress of a hand that simplifies
Cosa sarà di me? What will become of me?

L'abbraccio adulto in un silenzio The adult in a silent embrace
Scenico visibile Visible scene
L'incendio è la stagione The fire season
Delle tenebre bellissime Beautiful darkness
Avevi fatto in aria un incantesimo You had made a spell in the air
Tu cosa sei per me... What are you for me ...


A proxima.
PO

5 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Hi, P., good morning!
A small contribution (and a personal favourite..):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2OMn8GSVNs

Just let yourself go with the music and the words..

Kind regards and bright flowers, from Lisbon

gi.

Anónimo disse...

Morning P! As usual, I am struck by your empathic, sensitive descriptions of artists, songs and concerts. I can nearly "see"/feel what you saw. Thanks for that. As for Paolo Conte: he is good, yes. Loads of personality in a quiet, strong, confident way. The kind of confidence you acquire with age, knowing that you are good and that you play for fun, for pleasure, not so much for the money or the recognition. I am sure he loves what he does, he probably loves life, I agree with you. I felt the same way - though they are totally different - last night. Went to this concert that celebrated Rui Veloso's career (30 years by now!). He is called the father of the Portuguese rock (a bit silly, I know), but he really is. Nobody played like him before. In the 80's he introduced Portuguese music to a rhythm that was unusual to us. He plays the guitar beautifully, he has "blues" inside of him, he plays with a group of wonderful musicians and one feels this immense joy, this immense freedom when they all "talk" through the music they are playing... I just felt this imense pleasure of being in a live concert last night too. There's nothing like a good concert!!!. Look forward to your next post in 2weeks. Bjs. pcp

Philip disse...

Hello gi, I liked Reveries very much also. Thank you, PO

Philip disse...

Dear PCP, I would have liked to attend Rui Veloso's anniversary concert. Both Conte and Veloso remind me of the recent Leonard Cohen concerts - veteran artist, relaxed in his own skin, surrounded by brilliant musicians, magical experience.
I met Veloso once briefly years ago. In a restaurant (Giuseppe Verde in Ajuda, I wonder if it still exists), with Portuguese friends who pointed him out at the next table. I had no idea who he was so my friends spoke about him. Obviously in glowing terms because when he was leaving he stopped by our table, acknowledged my friends and introduced himself to me in English, saying he hoped I am persuaded to investigate more Portuguese music. Charming fellow.
Thx, PO

Anónimo disse...

Bela escolha!
PC vem a Lx em Maio de 2011.
fq

Acerca de mim

Arquivo do blogue