17 novembro 2011

Deixa-me rir...


Caros audiophiles, this week I was invited to a jazz festival concert performed by the French pianist and composer Claude Bolling.
I had never heard of him but I was assured that he is legendary. Indeed, if you check his internet profile as I did, you will discover that he has composed music for around 100 films, and that he has collaborated with many famous jazz artists such as Duke Ellington, Lionel Hampton, Stephane Grappelli and Oscar Peterson.
His most famous and enduring composition is the 1975 Suite for Flute and Jazz Trio. Here he marries classical flute with traditional jazz rhythms, "a mix of baroque elegance and modern swing", consisting of seven movements: Baroque and Blue, Sentimentale, Javanaise, Fugace, Irlandaise, Versatile, Veloce.
This piece proved so popular in America that it remained the #1 sales jazz album for two full years.

So I was curious to discover this 'new artist' for myself.  Claude Bolling, now 81 years old, speaks terrible English but he made an effort to communicate, which is always endearing, and it became evident from his body language and rapport with his musicians that he has a mischievous childlike sense of humour and Gallic charm.
I was not disappointed. In the first half of the concert he performed his famous Suite, and in the second half he played a mix of jazz 'standards' from Gershwin, Grappelli, Louis Armstrong, New Orleans. Of course he is a most accomplished pianist. OK, his style is, to my contemporary ears, light and pleasant, perhaps nothing more. But I am interested to know if you, my audiophiles, are familiar with him and what you think.
I present here two of the seven movements:







A proxima.
 
PO

3 comentários:

JdB disse...

Well PO, what can I say...
I've listened to both "youtubes". I found the first melody (which I think I know, but cannot identify from where...) nicer than the second one, but preferred the musical arrangement of the 2nd one. One's never happy...
I knew nothing of Claude Bolling and would remain like that if it wasn't for your kindness in sharing something. I'm not thrilled with the flute, I must recognize.
I would give him a 6 out of 10, but I'm not an expert - either I like it or i don't like it.
Thanks.

Anónimo disse...

Hi P, I agree with João. I don't like the flute much - it turns the tune too mellow, too shallow, something like that - but anyway I prefer the second song. It sounds more complex, more interesting to my un-expert ears. Thanks for always bringing something new and different. Bjs. pcp

Anónimo disse...

Obrigado JB and pcp for your comments. I'm not sure how much I like it either! I agree about the flute, I would prefer clarinet. The second piece Irlandais has a melody that, I now realise, is a mix of part of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake main theme and I Get A Kick Out Of You - listen to these and you will see what I mean! PO

Acerca de mim

Arquivo do blogue