28 julho 2011

Deixa-me rir...

Caros audiophiles, it seems these days that every week I am commemorating the life and death of another musical artist.
This week, of course, we have been shocked by the terrible events in Norway, tragic because of the pointless inhumanity of the killer and the innocence of his victims.
Less innocent, less unexpected, but still tragically sad, was the death of Amy Winehouse. My first thought was "surely somebody could have done more to help her?", a mixture of anger and sadness that she was not able to avoid what many people had observed was inevitable.
But I do not want to judge something I do not know enough about. I prefer to reflect on her talent for singing, her amazing voice steeped in blues and soul, and her lyrics so witty and honest and unsentimental which seemed to document her life..
The first two videos I have chosen show her performing live, in happier health and mood, even if the lyrics concern the breakdown of her marriage.

"Back to Black":

"Love is a Losing Game":


This next song, "To Know Him is to Love Him", appeared on the special edition of her Back To Black album, one of a selection of acoustic songs with just Amy and her guitar. The lyrics just make you wonder how different her life perhaps could have been.


The final video is one of Amy's favourite songs, "So Far Away", played at her funeral, composed and performed by the brilliant Carole KIng:



A proxima.
 
PO

1 comentário:

Anónimo disse...

Thank you for this wonderful selection, P! I know all these songs as I posted AW ages ago and had to go through Youtube and check what was appealing. I absolutely love "Love is a losing game" - it's soooo moving - and "To know him is to love him" is absolutely amazing. I felt particularly sad because of her death, strangely enough. Or maybe not. Big kiss. pcp

Acerca de mim

Arquivo do blogue