29 abril 2010

Deixa-me rir...

"Caros audiophiles, this week I am inspired by two friends, one who recently has travelled in Morocco and the other who has just returned from living in Egypt, to choose songs by two North African/Middle Eastern artists.

Amr Diab is Egypt's most successful singer in terms of popularity and sales. Born into a privileged and educated family, he is considered to have developed a "pan-Mediterranean" sound, a blend of traditional Arabic rai and western pop rhythms. I did not know of Amr until by chance recently I heard this song Tamally Maak, which means simply I Am Always With You, apparently one of the most popular Arabic songs ever:



Souad Massi was born in Algeria within a poor family. She began her career singing political songs about her country's difficult civil problems and consequently was severely disapproved by powerful people in government. More than this, Souad was a young woman who liked modern western dress and so challenged her male-dominated society. After death threats and being shot at, she moved to Paris where she continues to write songs about her home country. A few years ago I saw her fantastic debut UK concert at London's Queen Elizabeth Hall and have been a fan ever since. Like Amr Diab, she incorporates traditional Algerian arabic instruments and rhythms with western styles.

This song is called Raoui (The Storyteller); it speaks that, although everyone has a story in their heart about today's socio-political troubles, they should forget their problems for a moment and listen to the storyteller recounting tales of "once upon a time" of more innocent times:



I hope you enjoy.

A proxima.
PO

4 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Thanks, P, for bringing us different sounds and interpreters. I find them a breath of fresh air in a world saturated with Western music (our world, obviously). It's great to listen to other sounds (including languages) and try to find points of contact. And I love the mixture East-West. Like Istambul... I found the first song slightly boring (though the arrangements and instruments were great). Souad Massi is more my style. I like her simplicity. There's a longing in her singing that reminds me not exactly of fado, but of a Portuguese way of singing (and feeling). I wish I could understand what they were saying... great choice. Thanks. pcp

marialemos disse...

po, I agree with pcp: what a great thing Diversity is!

the 1st song is, perhaps, more of a blue-print of Eastern pop music? kind of if rules are obeyed success is a garanty? I don't know, you tell me...

the second one is ... lovely:)

Philip disse...

Dear PCP & Maria L, I agree that the first song is probably quite formulaic, it is easy listening pop, I can imagine every generation dancing to it at a wedding. But I like it, it sounds a bit exotic, especially of course the vocal style which is distinctly arabic.
Interesting that Souad Massi reminds you of fado. Her wikipedia profile suggests that one her influences is indeed fado! You can check out more of her songs on youtube... Thx, PO

I just found a translation of the lyrics for Souad Massi - Raoui (Storyteller):

Oh storyteller tell us a story
Make it a fairytale
Tell me about the people of old
Tell me about 1001 Nights
And about Lunja daughter of the Ghoul
And about the son of the Sultan

(The storyteller replies:)
I'm about to tell a story
Take us far from this world
I'm about to tell a story
Everyone of us has a story in his heart

Narrate and forget we're adults
In your mind we're young
Tell us about heaven and hell
About the bird that never flew in his life
Make us understand the meaning of the world

Oh storyteller tell it just as they told you
Don't add anything, don't leave anything out
We could see into your mind
Narrate to make us forget this time
Leave us in the world of once upon a time

Anónimo disse...

P, thanks for this, thank YOU! What beautiful these lyrics. I love this story. I like storytelling. I still remember a very nice afternoon (or evening?) when I went to the Barbican with M and J to listen to simple, traditional, jew stories, told by an actress or something similar... what a wonderful time we had. Remember Out of Africa? She (Karen Blixen) was also a wonderful storyteller... good storytelling is magnetic!!! bjs. pcp

Acerca de mim

Arquivo do blogue