13 maio 2010

Deixa-me rir...

"Caros audiophiles, Richard Hawley has been a professional musician for over 20 years but for most of this time he was happy just to be in a band, in the background, playing his guitar. Then fellow musicians discovered he could sing and heard some of his own private compositions and persuaded him to record something solo. In 2005 he recorded a CD called Coles Corner, a wonderful collection of mid-tempo and slow ballad songs with lush string orchestrations and retro 50's guitar, about his home city Sheffield. I happened to hear one day the title song, bought the CD and was hooked. He received much praise from music reviewers but the general public only started to take notice maybe a year later after he received some major award nominations.
He possesses a rich baritone voice, reminiscent of Elvis and Roy Orbison; his songs are romantic, melancholic, nostalgic, and in interviews he is quietly modest and unassuming. However on stage he can be wild, tell funny jokes as if among friends in a bar, and he plays fantastic rockabilly guitar with his band.
I hope you may like this introduction to his music.

Coles Corner is a popular area in his home city where friends and lovers like to meet:



For Your Lover Give Some Time: this is from his most recent CD:


Tonight The Streets Are Ours: I saw him play this acoustic version live last week in a tiny BBC theatre for a radio show and loved the simple interplay of the two guitars:



A proxima,
PO

9 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Hi, PO.
Richard Hawley is a personal favourite of mine! Just lovely, just beautiful, far from the speed, noise, chaos of the so-called "modern times".
Those songs are great, but, if I'm allowed, I would like to mention another fantastic song: the stunning "the ocean". Music as pure poetry.
Thanks.
Regards and flowers,

gi.

Philip disse...

Hi gi, very nice to hear from you, so pleased I could find an artist to make you share your inward smile. I agree, The Ocean also is wonderful but I could not include everything. Hopefully if people like these songs they will look for other ones too. I also really like Born Under A Bad Sign ("sleeping late in the afternoon, and playing your guitar"), Just Like The Rain, and Oh My Love from his ealier CD Lowedges. But there are many others....have you been able to see him live? I spoke to him at the BBC theatre and he said that this year, apart from a few festivals, he wants to take a break, so maybe next year... PO

Anónimo disse...

Hi, PO.
Of course. Richard has a dozen, at least, of precious songs. A shared secret, from now on ;-).
I must confess I am not a big fan of live shows (there is something about the crowd that makes me a bit uncomfortable, I can't really explain..). But probably Richard would play in a small/medium sized room - then, I could gladly join :).
Yes, definitely, this time right in the bull's eye so to speak!
Kindest regards,

gi.

Anónimo disse...

Hi P, can't actually listen to your choice this time. I am sure it is great (if you and gi like him, he has to be great!!). I'll let you know very shortly. Right now in the epicentre of the Pope's visit to Portugal!. Bjs. pcp

marialemos disse...

po,

i loved the way you described Richard Hawley's work
'slow ballad songs with lush string orchestrations'.

but

there is so much sadness behind, isn't it?

Beijo, saudades.

i dare to send to you a piece that i love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEZrB_FDw4c&feature=youtu.be

Philip disse...

Hi Maria, yes Paco de Lucia is amazing, I just wish he would smile occasionally! John McLaughlin and Di Meola I know by name but am not so familiar with their music. I was not especially inspired by this particular piece but I love the flamenco sounds and rhythms. Thx, PO

marialemos disse...

you see po he is all in favour of plastic surgery - did you notice a wrinkle (is that the word?)on his face? consequently, oh! smiling? - forget it. (i don't know if that's true, i'm making it up - si non e vero e bien truvato? or smtg like that)

what i like in this video is to see the three playing with pleasure. they are having fun and receiving good money for it. and quite a good performance, isn't it?

the perfect mixture.

beijo

marialemos disse...

po,

for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxfwm9N1L_4&feature=player_embedded

Anónimo disse...

Hi P, at last my comment! Yes, Richard Hawley is good. Very good, clear, rich voice. Preferred nr 2 and nr 3 songs (the guitars are fabulous). He must be great seen live. I wish I could have been at this BBC gig! Thanks for bringing something "different" to us every fortnight! Bjs. pcp

Acerca de mim

Arquivo do blogue