09 junho 2011

Deixa-me rir...

"Caros audiophiles, recently on this blog we were introduced to the ethnic sound of the Paraguayan harp. So today I thought to present another musical instrument, more well known but not so often heard these days: the ukulele from Hawaii. A few weeks ago on my radio I heard a charming performance of one of the most famous songs of the 20th century, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, from the film Wizard Of Oz of course. I had to google to find out who the singer was, and discovered he was a Hawaiian native musician called Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

A huge man who weighed 340 kilos. But oh goodness, such a surprising sweet voice. He reminds me of Susan Boyle whose unexpected singing voice caused a tv sensation two years ago. How often we need also to remind ourselves to never judge a book by its cover!

I had never heard of Israel K, but now know that he is a national hero in Hawaii who championed the independent rights and culture of his native people and who is the best-selling musical artist ever from Hawaii. When he died, aged only 38, from heart failure due to his weight problems, he was honoured with an official State funeral, with all flags lowered at half-mast, only the third Hawaiian ever to be given this honour.

More than this I do not know. But it is enough that evidently he was much loved and respected in his short life. As someone said, he needed a big body to house his big heart. A giant of a human being.




A proxima.

PO

5 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Ukulele

Úkulele é um instrumento derivado do cavaquinho português e que na Ilha da Madeira se chama braguinha.
Foi levado par o Hawai por emigrantes madeirenses que aí desembarcaram em 1878.
Ukulele quer dizer pulga saltadora dada a a rapidez com que os dedos se movem no instrumento.
SdB(I)

Anónimo disse...

Grande escolha,PO!
Muito interessante e instrutivo, o comentário de SdB.
fq

marialemos disse...

Philip,
I thought immediately of Inclusion, as I went through your post. It may well be that this is because I’m interested in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) – Sustainability as applied to companies, as you know. One of the pillars of Sustainability is People; the other two PPs are Planet and Profit. And if People are what matters then Inclusion should be considered. This means, in my view, that CSR / Sustainability are a strategy for doing business in a successful way - and your clip is a testimony to that.
As a way to say thanks here is a clip that I like, also connected to Inclusion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFFjm4ufzEY&feature=related

Bjs

Anónimo disse...

Oh P!! You know how basic I am! This man looks so unappealing, poor chap... will read your text asap... bjs. pcp

Anónimo disse...

P, beautiful text and song. I was kind of shocked with his looks - you know, just a first reaction - but I've always loved this song. It is so light and gay in a serene way. Love the rhythm, love the voice, the ukelele too. I sincerely hope he was very much loved whilst he was in this world. His voice is full of Love and Beauty, really. Bjs. pcp

Acerca de mim

Arquivo do blogue